- Licensed Veterinarians are required to renew every even year by September 30 and are granted a 60-day grace period extending to November 30 with a late fee. (KRS 321.211, 201 KAR 16:015).
- Veterinary Technicians are required to renew every year by September 30 and are granted a 60-day grace period extending to November 30 with a late fee. (KRS 321.211, 201 KAR 16:015).
- Certified Animal Control Agencies and Animal Euthanasia Specialists are required to renew every year by March 1 and are granted a 60-day grace period extending to April 30 with a late fee. (201 KAR 16:015)
- All license and certificate types can be renewed in KBVE’s eServices system (preferred) or by submitting a completed paper renewal form with all required attachments and payments to the Board Office.
- KBVE is not responsible for paperwork lost in the mail; please 1) keep a copy and 2) use a tracking service for all hardcopy submissions.
- Licensed Veterinarians – 30 CEUs during a renewal cycle (October 1 of an even year to September 30 of the next even year). There are exceptions in the regulation only for newly licensed veterinarians who graduated during the biennium of licensure (See 201 KAR 16:050, Section 1(4)).
- Licensed Veterinary Technicians – 6 CEUs during a renewal cycle (October 1 of an even year to September 30 of the next even year)
- There are no CEU requirements for Certified Animal Euthanasia Specialists and Certified Animal Control Agencies.
Continuing Education RequirementsThe number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) required for renewal varies by licensure type: (201 KAR 16:050)
As detailed in 201 KAR 16:050, Section 2, approved courses for veterinary and veterinary technicians CEUs include:
- (a) All scientific programs of all organizations of the American Veterinary Medical Association [AVMA], its constituent organizations, and its recognized specialty groups and accredited veterinary medical institutions whose meetings impart educational material directly relating to veterinary medicine;
- (b) Programs approved by the Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB); and
- (c) All programs approved by the board pursuant to subsection (2) of this section not associated with RACE or the American Veterinary Medical Association and its suborganizations. These programs are listed in a KBVE document titled Approved CEUs List [link to document].
Need a license from the KBVE?
Looking for online verification for licensees? Click and option below for more information from the Kentucky Board of Veterinary Examiners (KBVE).
Active License DirectoryComplete a License
Online License VerificationLocate a License
Dept of Professional LicensingPay a License Fee